Sunday, March 1, 2015

My Quest to Become a Badass Snowshoe Racer: Pre-Blizzard Racing Jitters

Part 4: Pre-Blizzard Racing Jitters

The two weeks between races goes by fast. I really don't do any training, other than walking the dog up to the top of Fox Hill a couple of times. It's cold, all I have for snowshoes are my wooden bear paws, and there is no real safe place to run on my road. Those are my excuses, anyway. I also feel guilty when I go out without the dog, he's getting older and can't keep up and the deep snow is really tough for him to get through. The Wednesday before the race, Jason asks me how training is going. I admit that it isn't. He looks at me and says: “you're probably going to have a tough time, then.” I have to agree with him. I start getting nervous about then. The day before the race is gorgeous. I have to run down to Portland in the morning and pick up Jason and take him to work, his Saturday morning ride hasn't gotten back to him. It's so beautiful when I get home that I grab Bandit and we head out for a walk. I'm just planning on taking him up Fox Hill, but he really needs to stretch out and run at his own speed, so we head down Pumphouse Road instead and I let him off leash. He frolics and frisks and sniffs, and as we get past the gate, I decide to check the trail that goes behind the pumphouse. I am thrilled to discover that it's packed hard enough that Bandit can walk on it without post holing. Me, I mostly don't go through, but I don't think the cross country skiers will be terribly happy with me... The main trails out in back are all well-packed. We're both moving pretty easy, and it's great seeing how much fun the old dog is having. As we walk, I can't help but think how awesome it would be to own my own running snowshoes. I start going through my finances in my head, and I realize I just might be able to swing it after all. I'm really enjoying the weather and the woods and the trails, and I decide that I'm going back out again on my trusty bear paws after lunch and without Bandit. We hit the steep uphill just before the pond, and I discover that I'm not as out of shape as I thought. This excites me, and my pre-race jitters get kicked to the curb. We get home and I make myself a juicy cheeseburger and rehydrate, change the batteries in my camera, and grab the snowshoes.


Second trip out is even more awesome than the first. I'm moving easy on the snow with the bear paws. The winter landscape is amazing, brilliant blue skies, snow, the greens of the pines and firs, the afternoon light shining golden and then rosy from behind the trees as the sun starts to go down. I find amazing things to photograph – natural snow sculptures, the light through the trees, and the austere winter beauty of the Maine woods. I also do a little jogging in the easier spots. It's not easy running on full-sized wooden snowshoes, but it can be done. I'm comfortable on my beloved old-fashioned snowshoes, these are what I learned how to snowshoe on when I was very young. Well, not this exact pair, my first pair was smaller, but pretty similar. I come home feeling much better about things than before I went out.

No comments:

Post a Comment